Back to Art-Literature
Rudolph Ihlee: Art in Collioure
Ihlee (1883 - 1968) - born in London, Ihlee was a graduate of the London
Slade School of Fine Arts and it was here that he was awarded a number of prizes.
Prior to moving to Collioure in 1921 he staged many successful solo exhibitions
in England and Wales.
During the First World War Ihlee worked at the Westwood
Drawing Office and during this period produced numerous lithographs, most around
1918. After the War he exhibited at Leister Galleries and then moved to Collioure
with his French wife, Isabelle in 1921.
Research suggests that Ihlee and
Charles Rennie Mackintosh were good friends and that perhaps Ihlee encouraged
Mackintosh and his wife to visit him. They arrived in 1923, staying for the next
four years and living in the adjoining fishing village of Port Vendres. Both artists
painted in and around Collioure and Port Vendres with Ihlee's compositions showing
clear similarities to Mackintosh's works. Both have a style of creating blocky,
structural landscapes where nature and buildings blend and foregrounds are often
emphasized with an interesting use of perspective.
The work below was painted
by Ruldoph Ihlee on the road near fort behind the old village, at Boramar Beach
in Collioure, looking towards the church. The orange in the painting is the top
of the Collioure church tower.
Click the image to view a larger version with explanatory notes
in Collioure, 1922